Total Pageviews

Friday 20 January 2017

Royal Coast Walk-Day 1

This walk had been on my list for a long time. 
I had, as a teenager or in my early twenties, walked the components of this walk, but never the full 28klm walk in one go.
I left the car at Kiama and caught the train up to Cronulla for the ferry across to Bundeena.

Gunnamatta Bay, waiting for the ferry.

Crossing Port Hacking. 



Thinking I might have a coffee and a cake at Bundeena before starting the walk I was disappointed to find that the cafe's had closed. It was after 5pm . The supermarket however had a Danish and a flavoured milk as a substitute.

I didn't start walking till 6 and the sun was low as I made it out to the cliffs and headed south. 





Wedding Cake Rock was perfectly lit. I had not been here since they have fenced the rock due to the fact that it is falling away from the cliff and has become popular with "instagramers". I had passed quite a few coming back from the rock and was amazed at the footwear deemed appropriate for a bushwalk. I was also saddened by the amount of rubbish and empty drink bottles littering the side of the track. Just after here I passed some locals on their afternoon walk who were cleaning up the rubbish as they returned home. 





I continued on to Marley Beach, 







and then to Little Marley. I had considered stopping here for the night or maybe heading up to Deer Pool, but continued on to Wattamolla, hoping I might reach Curracurrang for the night. 

Looking back to the Marleys. 





South from Little Marley 

I walked in to Wattamola at last light,about 8.30, and ate dinner at the picnic tables. Then deciding not to continue in the full dark I bedded down at the edge of the picnic area. It was the first time I had used my new Bivvy Bag and going to bed early (for me-10.30) had a good nights sleep.

No comments: