Total Pageviews

Saturday 21 October 2017

Mount Exmouth and the Grand High Tops

The plan was to do this walk as an overnight trip with a camp in my bivvy bag on top of Mt Exmouth. Overnight temps were supposed to be 12*  but the night before it got down to -3* and the cot tent was covered in frost. A cold night. I like to be comfortable so decided to walk to Mt Exmouth and if I could be back at the junction at Ogma Saddle by 1400hrs I thought I could complete the circuit in the day. (Walked mid September before daylight savings) If not I could walk the Grand High Tops the next day. A cold start meant a slow start and I wasn't packed and walking from Pincham Road track head until just before 0900.

Views of Bluff Mountain as I climb up the West Spirey Track.

Looking back down the valley.

On leaving Ogma Saddle and heading along the Western High Tops Track I had the option of a side trip to The Cathedral and Cathedral Arch. I didn't do this side trip but assume that this is the Cathedral.

Countouring across scree slopes.

Views back to Bluff Mountain and Tonduron Spire


Looking south to plains around Tooraweenah from the climb up Mt Exmouth. I stopped here for 1/2 hour and watched Wedge-tailed eagles soaring below me.

Looking down the spine of Mt Exmouth.



I loved the Grass Trees (Xanthorrhoea) on the summit.





The views from the summit were spectacular.


Bluff Mountain and the Grand High Tops

Belougery Split Rock 

Just magnificent.


I did make it back to Ogma Saddle by 1400hrs (well almost) and decided to push on with the loop.

Crater Bluff,




The Breadknife






The dyke at the top ridge which runs down to the Breadknife.


Walking under the Breadknife on the way down


Belougery Spire


I was back at the car by 1730 and back at Camp Blackman not long after. Probably one of the best walks in NSW if not the whole country. 24klm for the day with lots of up and down, some of it very steep. Slept well that night.


No comments: