Total Pageviews

Wednesday 2 August 2017

St Georges Head

Heading down to Booderee National Park again this time to walk the St Georges Head circuit.
Starting at the car park for Steamers Beach I first went down to Steamers Beach.





Then back up to the plateau and through the heath and open woodland to St Georges Head.


St Georges Head is not as I envisaged. Rather than an imposing head with sheer cliffs the rocks sloped gently down to the ocean.





I spotted some seals basking in the surf just off the rocks and went down closer to photograph them.


While I was there I heard the whales going past before I saw them.


I stayed about an hour watching the whales swim past. in groups of 2 to 5.

They seemed quite sedate as they rounded the head but once past a few of the breached in almost the same spot.



On the way back on the circuit I walked down to Blacks Harbour, which was abuetiful spot on Wreck Bay. I had spent too long watching the whales at the cape and couldn't spend long here exploring. Definitely on my return list by both walking and kayaking.


As I walked down to Blacks Harbour , Wreck Bay was full of whales with probably another 30plus spread out across the bay. At one stage I think I saw 15 or so blows at once as the surfaced together. A magic scene with the late afternoon sun.




I stayed here longer than I should but who wouldn't.





Passing Blacks Lagoon I headed back to the car and the completion of the 18klm circuit and set up camp at Green Patch as the light faded.


No comments: