Total Pageviews

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Far West- Day 10 Menindee Lake

After raining strong until I went to bed, I woke to blue cloudless skies. Broken Hill is dominated by the Line of Lode the huge mullock heap that towers over the town.


After visiting a museum and the regional art gallery I drove back up to the closed down visitors centre for some photos over the town in the sun. 


Then as I still hadn't seen any water in Menindee lakes, I drove back to Menindee. I stopped at Sunset Strip, a settlement on the western shore of Menindee Lake. A nice walk along the lake shore with masses of birds out on the shallow lake. 






All the dirt roads were closed due to the rain and I couldn't get out to any other lakes or back into Kinchega National Park.  After a beer and a chat in the pub, and being told that roads would probably be closed for another 3 or 4 days, I left Menindee  and drove back through Broken Hill and on through Wilcannia, stopping at 2300hrs  at a rest area half way to Cobar to wait for the road house to open in the morning, so I could buy fuel  and continue on.

No comments: