Total Pageviews

Wednesday 19 April 2017

Timealong Trail

The Timealong Trail is an old settlers track that ran from the Meryla Plateau on the Southern Highlands down into the Kangaroo Valley. It followed an old aboriginal route and was shown to Charles Throsby by Timealong in 1818. The trail now ends at the Yarrunga Creek arm of Lake Yarrunga which was formed in 1970 by the building of Tallowa Dam and flooding the Shoalhaven and Kangaroo Rivers. I had walked the few kilometres of the trail from the Beehive Point end before.

Meryla Pass is a well maintained fire trail which drops steeply off the plateau.

Views of the Meryla Plateau ,Mt Carrialoo (flat top,centre) and Mt Moolattoo (sharp point peak, right of photo)


Looking up at the cliffs of Meryla Pass. 


Once you leave the Meryla Pass trail after Gales Flat and start the Timealong trail the road deteriorates and is not maintained. Lots of tree falls across the track and some regrowth.

A pretty grotto waterfall on  the side of the track 



A large boulder on the side of the track with a tunnel straight through it. I could walk in via the underhang and walk upright through to the other side. 




Lots of engineering and stone walling on the road. 

I had been walking in a little misty rain on and off during the morning, not enough to truly wet me but enough to keep the camera well covered. 

First views of the creek through the mist. 

Then the end where the road runs into the lake/creek. I had paddled past here before. 


A break in the showers and a bit of blue sky while I had my lunch. 





The showers started again and became a little heavier with some serious rain as I made my way back up Meryla Pass. I logged 19.4klm on my GPS which was a little more than the 16-18klm that the other guides state. I assume this is the difference between map miles and actual distance travelled.


No comments: