Total Pageviews

Wednesday 8 March 2017

Refuge Bay

From Parsley Bay at Brooklyn into Cowan Creek and Fishermans Beach then across to Refuge Bay and back. 17.5klm in all. The hope was,that after a few days of rain, the waterfall in Refuge Bay would be running well. The forecast had been for showers but had changed on the day to thunderstorms. Clouds were evident building to the south and at one stage I could see rain not too far down Cowan Creek but conditions were perfect  and I stayed dry.

Leaving Parsley Bay and looking across to Gunyah Hill.

Glassy seas looking out through the Heads and Lion Island 


My companions for the day. 

Possum Beach, the first beach as I head up Cowan Creek. 

Then Fishermans Beach here it was time for a break. 


Stretching the legs, I walked up to the rocks overlooking the south side of the beach. 


Views north to Lion Island and Box Head. 

Some quite big shipping today doing circuits of the bay and creek. An ocean going tug and what seemed like some Navy boats. 



Crossing Cowan Creek and looking in at Refuge Bay. 

The waterfall at Refuge Bay. Although running, I was hoping for a little more flow. 




I headed up the back of the bay to where the creek enters. 



A icturesque solitary mangrove in the middle of the creek. High tide, ith about 30cm of water here as I headed up the creek. 


As I left the bay to cross back a tiny shell covered beach on the inside of Lambert Peninsula at the head of the bay made a nice lunch stop. 


Passing Gunyah Beach on the way back. 

Then a last stop at Little Gunyah 


By this time a light breeze risen and I could indulge with a lazy sail back for the last 2.5klm. 

A beautiful day on a magnificent waterway. Blessed to have this as my backyard. 

No comments: