Total Pageviews

Wednesday 1 March 2017

Follow the Pink Tape-Calga Underpass Walk

 Close to home so I could walk here before lunch and then a late afternoon paddle and BBQ dinner at Bobbin Head.
Another walk from Anthony Dunk.

A fire trail start and then a rough track to the wildlife underpass on the M1 expressway at Calga. 






Once through the tunnel it was a route rather than a track, following the pink tape. The tape followed a ridge before descending down the steep side of the valley to Mooney Mooney Creek. 

I have named this Ouch Rock. On descending I slid on the sloping rock covered in She Oak needles and leaves. Putting out my hand to stop my fall I stabbed myself on a broken tree stump. A little blood and then a bruised and painful palm for the next fortnight. 

At the bottom of the descent you reach the Great North Walk along Mooney Mooney Creek which you follow back to the M1 bridge. 



Passing under the bridge, it's straight back up the gas pipeline cutting to the ridge. This was steep. 

Back at the car at 1230 in the 35* heat. 
I felt that this walk wasn't the most scenic, but the novelty of walking under the M1 made it worthwhile.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Robert.

I'm an ecologist who's written a book about wildlife crossing structures. I noticed your great walk to the Mooney Mooney/Calga 10m-diameter arch underpass and the photos you took of the underpass. I have included this site in my book as it's one of the early generation of fauna underpasses and monitoring conducted by Australian Museum Business Services in 1997 recorded eastern pygmy possum, wombat, tiger quoll etc.

Would you be interested in giving me permission to use one of your photos in my book?
The permission is for non-exclusive world rights in all print and electronic formats (that means you still hold copyright of the photograph but you permit me to use it in ebook & print versions of my book). It is being published by Cambridge Scholars Publishing. The photo would be attributed to you.

Thanks very much for considering.
Brendan Taylor

robert c said...

G'day Brendan.
No problem. Permission granted.

Unknown said...

Thanks for providing permission Rob.
I was keen to use the pic of the front of the underpass & the one from just inside looking out that shows the adjoining veg. I downloaded the pics from this site but they were only ~40kb each which is too small to use. Would you have the originals by any chance you could share? No dramas if you can't - i can stick with the photo i have from RMS.
Also, if you are able to locate the originals, what name would you like attributed to the photos?
BTW, i have to submit the manuscript on 3 Jan so if you're able to get back to me that'd be great.
Thanks mate,
Brendan