Total Pageviews

Thursday 16 February 2017

Douglas Park Paddle

I have wanted to paddle the Nepean from Douglas Park to Menangle for ages but without a pick up at one end it makes for a long return paddle. Also with temps predicted in the high 30's I didn't want a long paddle.
I drove down after work and camped under the Douglas Park freeway bridge. A hot night but I didn't sleep too bad..

A nice morning, warm but not too hot yet. 



Heading downstream  

After about 1klm I turned up the Cataract River. 


After only 3/4 klm a boulder block up at the start of the gorge meant I had to turn around and head back to the Nepean. More natural forest in this section of the paddle with some huge old gumtrees playing host to a cacophony of nesting Cockatoos.

Back on the Nepean I kept heading downstream on some serene water and past the occasional sandy beach.





As the day was starting to heat up I  turned around and stopped at a nice beach for a stretch of my legs and a wade in the water while watching  schools of tiny fish tickle my legs.





Heading back and passing the junction of the Cataract and Nepean Rivers. 

Back to the bridge beach and car at about 10am after 12klm. The temperature was 35* already. 

No comments: