Total Pageviews

Tuesday 16 August 2016

Zig but no Zag

 I had walked most of this walk before but turned back at the first lookout due to time constraints. Today I had the whole day. I had driven up after work and camped at Burralow, sleeping till 0800hrs and with a leisurely start should have been at the start of the walk by 1000hrs. However the road to the walk had been locked 5klm before the start. My 6klm walk had just turned to 16klm. No information that this was so could be found on the net. The 5klm along the fire trail to the start was easy so I wasn't worried. I did not,however,rethink my water requirements and carry extra. 

When I got to the lookout I followed the track as it contoured across the hill until it just ended . Rather than back track, I decided to just drop down to Tootie Creek and follow it to the Colo River and pick up the track there for my return. Needless to say this didn't happen . It was hard work to get to the creek and once there I could not follow it down to the Colo without some climbing or swimming. I then returned up a steep ridge, bypassing the lookout until I hit the track again. Again hard work. I was completely knackered, a little dehydrated ( I had refilled my water bottles at Tootie Creek) and last weeks cold left me wheezing and struggling for breath while climbing back on the ridge. 

Once on the track the going was easier and the fire trail a breeze and I was back at the car on dusk at 1730hrs. Rather than drive to the Newnes Plateau and camp again as I had planned I wimped out and went home to recover in comfort. I now realise that the track must turn downhill very soon after the lookout and come back underneath same and continue down the ridge along the Colo to the junction with Tootie Creek. I just love hindsight. 

The start of the track, a 5klm walk from the locked gate at Mountain Lagoon.

Views over the Colo Wilderness as you descend. 



Follow the little man.(If you can) 

The route down the ridge.


The first lookout of the Colo River. 








Tootie Creek 




Looking back at Tootie Creek. An indication f how steep my climb out was. 

More Colo country from the ridge out.



On the firetrail. 


16klm all up for the day including some hard off track and I still have to go back to finish.

No comments: