Total Pageviews

Saturday 3 June 2017

Berrima walk and Lake Titicaca paddle

After my bike ride at Iron Cove I drove down to Bundanoon and having a little time on my hands I stopped at Berrima and took a short stroll on the Wingecarribee River on the Berrima River Walk. I was looking for a launch point to bring the kayak back for a paddle.


A lovely stretch of the river and although no platypus today I did watch a Rakali or native water rat in the river for a while. 




During the First World War this section of the river was a detainment camp for German nationals from the merchant fleet. Huts and boats were built for recreation on the river. Market gardens were set up for produce, to both supplement their rations and sale to the locals. They even built a small dam across the river at the rock bar to widen and deepen the river. The largest pool they named Lake Titicaca after the biggest lake in South America.





A couple of days later I came back for a delightful paddle with some autumn colour along a 3klm section of the river giving me a 6.3klm paddle from the bridge through Lake Titicaca to the first rock bar across the river. 













Glorious autumn day.





No comments: