Total Pageviews

Wednesday 20 January 2016

Kiama Coast Walk (Southern)

The Kiama Coast Walk starts at Minnamurra and follows the coast south,through Kiama and on to Werri Lagoon and Gerringong.  Driving down after work, I camped at Jamberoo Lookout, in my new stretcher tent (a xmas gift from my sister). An easy set up and I was asleep 5 minutes after stopping. 



 I was up before the sun at 5am (after a good 3 1/2 hrs sleep) and quickly packed and headed down to Gerringong station for the 7am train to Kiama. I had planned to catch the 8.40 train but a hot 35 degree day was forecast and I didn't want to be walking in the afternoon heat.

The old Dairy at the station.


Started walking from Kiama Station at 0720 hrs. A short walk down to Kiama Harbour. 


Looking north to Bombo Headland. 

The iconic black rocks at the Kiama Blowhole. A calm sea this morning meant the blowhole was not working at all. 



A glorious morning to be out and I was surprised by the number of people out walking. 


Kiama Beach 


Kendalls Beach 

North back to Kiama  

The Little Blowhole before Easts Beach is a smaller but more reliable performer in calm seas. 


Easts Beach  




Loves Bay. The two tones of the rock are a feature of the walk. 





I left the crowds behind and headed off over the cliffs towards Gerringong. This was the part of the walk I was looking forward too, Grassy paddocks on the cliffs and rocky bays. Not a bushwalk and although the lack of trees is a feature of the walk it does make for a very hot, exposed walk.








On to Gerringong 



A wet feet (shoes off) crossing of Werri Lagoon. 


Then back along the beach and through the streets to the car at the station. Five hours and 16.4klm station to station. A lovely morning's walk.

No comments: